Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Imposter Syndrome



The title of this post is Imposter Syndrome - it seems to describe me. However, maybe I'm just not cut out to be a scientist. 

I don't feel adequate. I don't feel like a STEM student.

Today was my second day of my research experience - something I felt excited about engaging myself in.

My professor today asked me what a buffer was - I forgot. I said some stupid answer and she just looked at me and I felt that I didn't belong there. I forgot basic general chemistry: PKa, conjugate acids and bases, etc. I felt so stupid. 

I am working in a biochemistry lab as a biochemistry student - underneath a genius laboratory professor who is highly regarded for her research on biochemistry.

I felt so dumb and I was depressed. I still am. I feel ashamed that I don't know the basics of science and even more ashamed for even thinking that I could go to medical school, much less transfer as a biochemistry student or even take the MCAT. 

I have lab tomorrow at 10 and I am just frantically packing the basic stuff of chemistry back into my head. I don't know what I'm doing here - I feel as if I got in just by luck. 

I feel as if I am wasting my professor's time and the time of the entire laboratory. Maybe I'm just not cut out for this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment